LinkedIn is among the most popular online platforms for jobseekers, businesses, professionals, and recruiters. Think of it as an online resume where you can share your work experience, skills, education, and more with potential employers, recruiters, fellow professionals, and more. Use these seven strategies to increase your reach and get recruiters to message you!
1. Select the right profile picture.
- Your profile picture is one of the first things people will see when they look at your profile. Make sure your photo is professional and welcoming!
- Try to stay away from selfies. If you don’t want to pay for a professional picture, have someone take your picture against a blank wall.
2. Use keywords throughout your profile.
- Review target jobs to identify the skills and requirements employers are looking for in candidates. Include those in your profile to make your profile easy to find and review.
- Examples of technical skills include software development, systems analysis, cybersecurity analysis, penetration testing, requirements gathering, etc.
3. Make sure your profile is complete and accurate.
- Without a complete profile, including the headline, summary, experience, education, certifications, and skills section, the chances of a recruiter or potential employer viewing your profile are slim to none.
- Employers won’t hire someone with a sloppy or incomplete resume. The same can be said for LinkedIn. Employers won’t reach out if you haven’t bothered updating essential details.
- Make your headline more than just a job title. It is one of the first portions a potential employer will see. Use that to your advantage!
Example: “Aspiring Software Developer | Requirements Analysis | Systems Testing | Issue Resolution | Software Development Life Cycle”
4. Highlight your educational projects.
- Be sure to include details on projects you’ve completed during your time at CYDEO and any internships. The projects show employers that you can use your classroom knowledge in hands-on environments.
5. Post regularly.
- LinkedIn’s algorithm rewards those who frequently post, so try to post once or twice weekly. Choose a designated day of the week to make it a routine!
6. Engage with others.
- Not only is posting relevant content essential but engaging and networking with others consistently will get you noticed. Like and comment on other posts to create valuable connections. Consistency is key!
7. Join groups and follow relevant industry leaders.
- Similar to engaging with others, joining technology and other relevant groups is a great way to build relationships with like-minded professionals.
Recruiters and hiring managers search LinkedIn for new candidates daily, so writing a complete profile is imperative to your success. Now, get to it!